Channa Dhal -1 cup
Ginger 1 small piece finely chopped
Green chillies – 3 nos finely chopped
Curry Leaves – 1 spring
Small onions – 15 nos finely chopped
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
- Soak channa dal in water for 3 hours and then drain
- Grind the soaked dal coarsely. Since the dal absorbs water during soaking, there is no need to add extra water when grinding .The ground mixture should be very thick so that it can be shaped into small discs.
- Remove dal from the blender and sprinkle chopped chilies, onion, grated ginger, and curry leaves and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan.
- When the oil is hot, wet the palms of your hand and shape about two tablespoons of the dal mixture into a 2 inch round disc.
- Slide the vada gently into the hot oil. Repeat with the remaining mix. Fry vadas for approximately 3 to5 minutes till they turn golden brown and crisp